Personally, I think the poster is great! Makes me think...damn, now that is an animation festival I want to attend! Unfortunately, I live in New York and won't be able to be there.
Okay, I love animation (even studied it in university for a year - didn't pan out) and I love art, and honestly I haven't heard any of the reasons why this is causing a stir, but I feel I can speak for the "outsiders" who just love to look at art and watch animation and say that this is just a beautiful piece of artwork. I'm sorry that I don't "get" what the fluff is all about, I'm sorry if I don't quite "get" what this poster is even supposed to mean, but I think it's great. Perhaps if I was involved in the art and animation community, I may understand better, but alas I'm not - and now, unlike in previous years, I'm not so sure I would ever want to be.
I saw some of the comments about this poster, some awful things, some nice. I really like it. It feels like a Saturday morning. It's not pretentious, not serious - it's fun. Why couldn't that be a poster for an animation festival?
It's cartoony in an arty way, and kinetic and anthropomorphic. Of course it's a suitable poster for an animation convention. And it's obvious to anyone with a trained and/or competent eye that this is not "something my kid could do".
This is supposed to be a poster? Dreadful design, the text looks like a collection of random scribbles that no-one will pay attention to. Apparently the image itself is more important than conveying the necessary information, which might have worked to draw the attention of the viewer if the image in any way conveyed the idea that this is about animation.
This is beautiful! I love it! Why is this controversial?
ReplyDeletePersonally, I think the poster is great! Makes me think...damn, now that is an animation festival I want to attend! Unfortunately, I live in New York and won't be able to be there.
ReplyDeleteOkay, I love animation (even studied it in university for a year - didn't pan out) and I love art, and honestly I haven't heard any of the reasons why this is causing a stir, but I feel I can speak for the "outsiders" who just love to look at art and watch animation and say that this is just a beautiful piece of artwork. I'm sorry that I don't "get" what the fluff is all about, I'm sorry if I don't quite "get" what this poster is even supposed to mean, but I think it's great. Perhaps if I was involved in the art and animation community, I may understand better, but alas I'm not - and now, unlike in previous years, I'm not so sure I would ever want to be.
ReplyDeleteI saw some of the comments about this poster, some awful things, some nice. I really like it. It feels like a Saturday morning. It's not pretentious, not serious - it's fun. Why couldn't that be a poster for an animation festival?
ReplyDeleteIt's just awful.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE this image, I look at it and see one of the coolest creatures I've seen in awhile.
ReplyDeleteMan, I saw it and instantly liked it. The proof is right there for me. Good for you
ReplyDeleteNice work from a thoughtful and capable artist. Even if I didn't like it I would applaud the accomplishment of having your work represented.
ReplyDeleteIt's cartoony in an arty way, and kinetic and anthropomorphic. Of course it's a suitable poster for an animation convention. And it's obvious to anyone with a trained and/or competent eye that this is not "something my kid could do".
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Theo on the poster. I think it's interesting and thats what animation should be.
ReplyDeleteALl this histeria over the poster is over-blown. Figures, coming from n. american-saturday-morning-cartoon watchers-stuck-in-the-90s.
Animation is an art form, and so is your poster.
Congrats.
Ariel
This is supposed to be a poster? Dreadful design, the text looks like a collection of random scribbles that no-one will pay attention to. Apparently the image itself is more important than conveying the necessary information, which might have worked to draw the attention of the viewer if the image in any way conveyed the idea that this is about animation.
ReplyDeleteTo all those who claim this poster doesnt speak animation: WHAT is animation? I'm very curious to find out. '
ReplyDeleteJust out of curiousity though Theo.. what was your motivation and/or vision of this poster?
ReplyDelete