Thursday, September 10, 2009

Lipsett voice

Now I can reveal it. Xavier Dolan plays Lipsett in the English and the French version of the film "Lipsett diaries".
Actually, I even don't know if I have to talk about Lipsett anymore, since the person that we (Chris, me, Xavier, Marc, Olivier) are trying to create is almost fictional, and it is based more on Psychological deconstruction, and Analise of his films. Needless to say, Xavier is simply an enfant-prodige...
But why Dolan? I didn't look for documentary authenticity with Lipsett. I looked for the feeling, not for a simple voice. When Lipsett created his ground-breaking film "Very nice, very nice", he was 20 - the same age as Xavier, when he created his film. He knows what an early lionization means...
He knows, and he feels what the film is about. We had conversations about the art, about Karel Appel subconscious paintings, about everything that a Young, successful artist has in mind, about Bergmann references (loosing studio time, haha). The recording was just in the meantime. Improvisations, and feelings.
Xavier didn't play it....He was himself...
But mostly, the most important thing was that this recording made me feel good, after those turbulence weeks.... It was an inspiring day.
He also wrote the french version of Chris Robinson text - quite surprising translation, actually it will be a different film in French. But this is not a news.

1 comment: